If you recently visited your loved one and noticed that it is getting harder for them to live on their own, then it might be time to start the discussion about senior living options. Westminster Winter Park offers a variety of services for families including a continuum of care so that you only need to have this discussion once. If they move into a continuum care community then they can age comfortably. It allows them to increase their levels of care without having to move to a new senior living community. Our Westminster Winter Park family put together some tips on having a successful discussion with your family about senior living options.
- Set up an in-person or a virtual meeting with the family.
- It is important to meet with your other siblings or family members first before including the loved one who you are concerned about. Why is this important? It is important for all of you to be on the same page before starting the discussion with your loved one. That way all the negative comments and concerns are mentioned privately without creating unnecessary stress for the aging senior in your life.
- Voice your concerns.
- Never start a tough conversation with blame. First, try voicing your concerns. Instead of saying “All you eat is frozen TV dinners and you don’t take your medicine.” You could say, “I’m concerned that you are not getting the nutrients and medication your body needs.” This will help set the correct tone for the discussion.
- Listen to your parents.
- Even though they were not in the initial family meeting, it is very important to include them in the final decision-making process. Listen to all their feelings and concerns. This will help you find the perfect senior care community for them. Each community will have a different atmosphere and set of activities. Help them find the perfect match that fits their unique needs and interests.
- The key is open dialogue.
- Leaving your home is not an easy decision for anyone. This may be an ongoing topic before anything is decided.
It is ok if you have not made a final decision yet but have questions for our Westminster Winter Park team, visit our website here for more information. You can also contact us and schedule a tour. We know it is a tough decision and are here to help you every step of the way. We can also help listen to the needs of your loved ones and suggest which type of senior living community is best for them. Here at Westminster Winter Park we offer independent living, assisted living, skilled nursing care, and more.